How to protect yourself from Tax Scams and Identity Theft
It’s that time of the year again – Tax Season! We all dread it. It’s definitely not a fun activity in our lives but, as the old saying goes, “There are only two guaranteed things in life: Taxes and Death”. I dread doing taxes with every fiber of my being.
What’s even worse though is the thought of being scammed! There are so many tax scams out there and Ryan Lippe is with us in this podcast below to tell us what the scams are and how we can avoid them. Click on the link below to listen to hear what Ryan has to say!
According to Marija Lazic over at Legaljobs, here is a list of stats about tax scams and identity theft:
Fascinating Scam Statistics and Facts (Editor’s Pick)
- In the US, one in ten adults will fall victim to a scam or fraud every year.
- 1.3 million children have their identities stolen every year.
- You are more likely to become a victim of identity fraud by having your wallet snatched than you are via online fraud.
- When it comes to victims of doorstep fraud, 85% are over 65.
- In 2018 internet-enabled theft, fraud, and exploitation were responsible for a massive $2.7 billion in financial losses.
- In 2019 phishing attempts grew by 65%.
- 1 in 10 profiles on free dating sites is a scam.
- In 2018 82% of organizations were victims of payment fraud.
Have you been a victim of a scam or identity theft? Leave a comment below. Why? Because other people being aware that they are not the only ones that it happens to (especially near them) helps them to be brave and report it so the authorities can track the scammers easier. Thank you for being part of the solution 🙂
For more information about tax scams and other scams, visit https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Individuals-and-Families/Consumers/Scams.
To report a scam, visit https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/about-AG/contact/report-a-scam and fill out their form. Remember, they can’t catch the bad guys they don’t know about! Please report things!