Healthy Baked Apples
Author: Martha / Simple Nourished Living
2 large apples
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
⅓ cup water or apple juice
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- Cut the apples in half around the middle. Remove the core and seeds with a small spoon or knife. Place the apples in an ovenproof baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spoon this mixture into the centers of your apple halves. Pour water or apple juice into the baking dish.
- Bake apples for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the apples are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
- Serve warm with low fat ice cream or plain or vanilla yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Healthy Baked apples Variations:
These healthy baked apples can be customized too. Feel free to add up to ¼ cup of other healthy ingredients to sugar, butter and spices, such as:
Chopped dried fruit such as raising or dried cranberries
Chopped nuts such as almonds, pecans or walnuts
Low – fat granola
Quick cooking oats
Mary Anne Chadbourne